Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Orphans Still

The best news about legislation I've heard in a long time came across the transom this morning: the Orphan Works Bill is dead. At least for now.

The Orphan Works Bill is a misguided attempt which would make copyright registration practically worthless, because an unauthorized user could make certain claims about unsuccessful attempts to reach a copyright owner, go ahead and use the work, and the owner would be limited in the amount of damages he or she could collect.

Why spend $45 to register your copyright if you don't have the power of $150,000 for damages for intentional infringement? Beats me.

I think Congress should pass a bill that says I can build my house on any plot of land I just see sitting unused--after all shouldn't someone who's willing to make good use of something have rights over someone who just lets it lay around? That's a simple analogy, but the likelihood of me being able to convince a Congress person to let me do what I want with someone else's real property is just about zero. But somehow, I'm supposed to be happy when an infringer takes away my right to control my images.

Right.

No comments: